The existence of Campo, as a village, dates back to 1023, but there is no mention in the records about St. Peter's church. The Austrian archaeologist, Martin Bitschnau, recently stated that on the basis of his analysis of the construction techniques, the building could probably be dated even before the 12th century.

This theory, however, is quite controversial. Other experts believe the church construction dates from the 14th century, since this is the timeframe autographed by the master painter Giorgio da Riva himself.

The church and adjoining cemetery are mentioned in the wills of Engelerio son of the deceased Guglielmo in 1422, Giovanni son of the deceased Antonio in 1424, Zeno from Boccino in 1446 and many others.

The church of Campo was built to meet the spiritual needs of the people, and suffered the same destiny when population's numbers began to decrease. The church façade we see today was completely renovated during the 1700s. It retains, however, the original hut-like Romanesque structure facing west. This feature together with the basin-like shape of the apse, are typical of the Romanesque style, which lasted virtually unchanged until the 1300s. The interior resumes the style already defined by the exterior, namely, a single nave surmounted by a triumphal arch leading to a bare altar and the apse. This essential structure, however, is enriched by a profusion of paintings unfolding from the arch above and the apse unto the sidewalls.

On the northern wall in a west to east direction we find: Christ on the Cross flanked by the Virgin Mary, John the Apostle, Sts. Bartholomew and Zeno; The Virgin Mary sitting on a throne, suckling the Infant Jesus and surrounded by Sts. Bartholomew, Lucy, John the Baptist and Catherine of Alexandria; The persons who commissioned the work, Bartolomeo and Ingelterio, kneeling in prayer.
On the half crests and the arch above the apse we see: St. James the Elder; The Annunciation of Our Lady intersected by the arch's vertex; A wounded Christ leaning out of a sarcophagus; St. Anthony the Abbot.
On the basin of the apse we notice: A Christ the All Powerful between the Virgin Mary, St. John the Baptist and the symbols of the four Evangelists.
Along the southern wall in an east to west direction we find: A bishop and a Madonna with the Child Jesus; A bishop, St. Peter sitting on his Chair, Saints Dorothy and Catherine of Alexandria; Our Lady of Mercy with Saints Anthony the Abbot, Catherine of Alexandria and Mary Magdalene; St. Anthony the Abbot.
On a section of the southern wall of the apse's basin there is an inscription indicating that the frescoes were completed in 1358 by master painter Giorgio da Riva, respectively, son and brother of the well-known Federico and Giacomo.